Segments

Thursday 21 February 2013

E-books?

Hi hotshots!

I don't have a kindle, or a nook, or a kindle fire, or anything like that. What I have are three bookcases overflowing in my room. Which is better?
Well, I moved pretty recently, and that taught me hands-on that having 9-12 boxes full of books is both heavy and impractical. Imagine all those books on a Kindle. It would be cheaper to transport, less troublesome to pack and unpack. Well, unless I lost the Kindle. Then I'm obviously screwed.
Weight and cost versus losing all books and the electronic device at once.

On another note, what does having PDFs of a book ready on the internet mean? Music files are often pirated, because its so easy. What's to stop the book from becoming just as easily stolen?

In charity shops, books cost anything from £0.01 to £2.00. On the internet, there are self-publishing sites that sell books for just £0.99. In bookstores, books are usually about £8, and much higher for hardbacks. Libraries lend books for free.

The feel and weight of a book is...right. Words have weight. Why should they automatically need to be plugged in, like a computer? There is something special about holding a very old book, but an old computer file is just something in need of updating.
You can carry a book without fear of it being stolen, but a Kindle is a different story.
Does a book lose authenticity, its impressiveness, if it's just another file on the internet?

I don't know. I like having books around me, and I love going to bookstores/libraries. The attraction of having lots of book on a slim device I can fit into my pocket is still there.

Three bookcases could be converted into Kindle files. But.

But?


No comments:

Post a Comment