Segments

Sunday 17 March 2013

Every Day, by David Levithan

Hey, hotshot.

I don't really write posts dedicated to one book, but decided to make an exception for this one.

Basic summary: A is a soul/spirit/mind that wakes up every day in a different person's body. This is compromised when A finds someone that s/he wants to be attached to.

Why I love this book:
1) The writing style sucked me in. Eloquent and addictive. I read this in one evening. I finished it at exactly midnight. For those who've read the book, you'll get why I mention that. For those who haven't: A switches bodies at exactly midnight. I felt surreal. Like A was leaving right as I finished.
2) A, the protagonist, is fascinating. Unlike many, s/he doesn't do much that is stupid. You don't feel like yelling at A.
3) The love interest isn't annoying, but quite...reasonable. I didn't care much about her, but she didn't get in the way of the story too much, and it was pretty funny to read A trying to figure out where he is in comparison to her every morning. 
4) It's pretty obvious that the writer is open-minded. (You can really learn to hate some authors through how they write.)
5) I didn't see the ending coming. I want the author to write a sequel just to see what happens to A next. 
6) After finishing I felt like my head was exploding from all the different feelings in my stomach and thoughts in my brain. I didn't want it to be over, I didn't want it to have started. It felt like being on a tightrope when I put the book down. 
7) I felt like writing. It's the kind of book that inspires me. I love that.

Rating : 10/10. I don't read these kind of books often enough. I'll definitely be reading more of Levithan, especially if this is his usual standard. 



I have a song association for this book. It was playing while I began reading. Olly Murs, Heart on my Sleeve. Go figure.




I need to go...reread a few chapters...

No comments:

Post a Comment