Segments

Thursday 9 August 2012

fav books Aug '12


Hi hotshot,

I was thinking, earlier (as dangerous as that sounds). What author has ever gotten anywhere without reading? Save for the first person to ever invent a code of gibberish and write, very few. Reading good books made me want to be able to write good books. Simple.

So here's a list of some of my FAVORITE books!


In no particular order, here's Blood Red Road, by Moira Young.

This book is a shock- it's well written, while having the worst consistent spelling ever. The bad spelling, however, is on purpose, because it's written from the heroine's heavily accented point of view.  The story follows Saba, a girl living in the Dust Lands, and her quest to find her twin brother Lugh. A thoroughly enjoyable dystopian, and I can't wait for it's sequel to come out. Let's hope it doesn't suck, because that would be a real let-down. Moira Young has a winner on her hands here, people.

And, always,
Divergent by Veronica Roth. Another dystopia. Another genuinely kick-ass heroine. Must read. Its sequel, Insurgent, was good, but the heroine (Tris) is not quite as awesome as before. I'm curious to see what the final book in the trilogy will be called. Convergent, anyone? 

And what's a favorite book list without a talking skeleton detective? That's right, ladies and gentlemen. Skulduggery Pleasant at your service.

This book is sarcastic. And funny. So, so funny in all the right ways. The main character (apart from Skul) is the indescribable Stephanie Edgley. The series starts to get full of inself as Derek Landy writes more of them, but this is a perfect read for a rainy or sunny or weathersome day.
And vampires. I have to include vampires somewhere. How about suburban vampires?

A totally messed up family. The plot moves along at a nice pace, and there is a noticeable lack of sparkling. I really like Matt Haig's style of writing- blunt and sweet and to the point. I have made a note here to read more of his books.
NB: Read more of this guy's stuff.
Legit.
For those who have not met Terry Pratchett yet, I suggest either
The Last Continent
or
Hogfather
They are both gems that show how good he is at poking fun out of almost literally everything in his own book.

There is also the hilarious Beauty Queens, which is one of the nicest surprises I've had all year. I don't know why it's so surprising when I find a good book, but it is.


semi-dystopia. Strange, to say the least, and is now firmly imprinted on my mind as a very, very good piece of literature.

I think I'll leave it at seven books, for now, because seven is a good ol' number. 

No comments:

Post a Comment