Segments

Saturday 28 July 2012

"Where do you get your inspiration from?" and ensuing sarcasm.

Hi hotshot,

Disclaimer: I have nothing against Americans, being one myself, and I'm sorry I don't know the anthem of Zimbabwe or even if it has one.

Someone, someday, will ask me this.

Fact is, no one knows except "my brain and the world around me."

THERE IS NO POINT IN THAT QUESTION. Yet people ask it to authors so often. And I will hopefully become a published one, so...

So, my answer will be the following:

"In the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, under the waves, there is a secret castle only Authors can find. In the heart of it, you must sing the macarena backwards and yodel the national anthem of Zimbabwe, after which a secret portal in the floor opens. In this portal there is a floating goblet filled with neon green gloop. You drink from this magic goblet, and when you come back home, you vomit out your book. Now guess where major motion pictures come from. I'll give you a clue; it's not the vomit."

If I'm feeling really, really sarcastic I'll add:

"When Authors get sick, they don't throw up normal vomit. They throw up sonnets and poems and descriptions. Remember that the next time you're admiring Poe's work. He had to get 'flu for that. Appreciate it."

I'm just so worried Americans would take me seriously.



No comments:

Post a Comment