Segments

Tuesday 26 June 2012

The writer rambling.

Hi, hotshots

I try to find INSPIRATION by reading. Not to philander, but because the funny thing is, whenever I go into a bookstore I feel like I can write. Because all these other authors have done it, why can't I? Likewise, reading has a more diluted effect of that. I feel like I can make something just as good, all of my own. Maybe that's silly or naïve, but it helps on days when inspiration and lady muse are off having a tea party without me. New experiences trigger my inspiration, as do reading newspaper articles, sketching, listening to music and riding my bicycle around. Never from movies, though. I guess because it's a different medium..? Eh. I like to write about people with flaws, or with terrible pasts that almost literally cripple them. I don't like writing Mary-Sues (I find it boring and emotionless), nor do I like people who are perfectly okay and get tossed into a world they don't know. I wan m main character suffering. But never self-pitying or self-loathing- that removes the rawness of it. Does it make me a sadist? I don't think so. I just love the rush of writing emotions into things. Pure and primal, emotions. They're all I love books for, the way you can translate human states of being into ink on paper. Miraculous, no? I write in both firs and third person. Firs person is useful because the reader is plunged into the Character's skin with no effort; they're in the scene immidiatley. But third person has its perks, too. It has more detail, and can have multiple points of view easily to round off a story. My worst habit is not finishing stories. My best is conveying emotion. I want to be a writer. And there, that's one point- I. Want. to be a writer. Not "would like". "Would like" never got a story written. You have to want it, have it in your head, do at least one thing a day to bring you closer to that goal. Determination, goddamn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment