Segments

Monday 7 January 2013

The First Draft

Hi hotshots-

I've been writing a story of undetermined length. And it's been like pulling teeth, until I realized something that I had been somewhat arrogantly overlooking:

No one cares about the first draft except me.

And that is one of the most liberating things ever.

There is no need, in writing a story for the first time, to stress about things too much. It's the foundation and skeleton of your story, but it can be revised. No one expects you to do it perfectly the first time around; the story is not your baby.

So chill.

You can go back, and way up what you like and don't like about what you have laid out. Boring characters? Mess with them. Weird plot? Now is the chance to smooth it out. Any other things that seem off in the first draft are to be corrected in the second draft. Even things as simple as the character's hair color, or where they live can be modified to suit how you wish for things to play out.

Now, that doesn't mean you/I can be lazy. The more you research things for your first draft, the easier the second and third etc. will be. I think.

I hope.

Yes.

Nobody cares. You can do whatever you like.

So do it already. I am. It's kind of scary. But fun :D


No comments:

Post a Comment